Saturday 21 December 2013

#77 - The Man With The Limp



Today’s words: Bedsite, Parsimonious, Occupied, Limping

Word count: 549

Completion time: 37 minutes

Summary: You can never be too careful when helping a stranger out

--

What a cliché. An old guy’s limping along the pedestrian crossing, no-one else bothers to help, so you volunteer because not doing so would cause you to feel bad. It was rush hour, so horns were blazing and people were walking so fast it looked like they were robots trained to avoid any collision or conflict; eyes forward, shoulders back, a parsimonious hold on their bags and purses whenever they walked past the homeless couple on the corner of the street, you know.

Anyway, when I walked up to this guy and took his arm in mine, telling him that I would give him a hand, he smiled gratefully and shifted some of his weight onto my side. He needed me, I was doing him a favour, I was the hero...that’s what ‘selfless’ people say a lot, don’t they? Oh, I’m doing it out of the kindles of my heart, they say. Bullshit. They’re doing it because they all have ego trips, they want to make themselves feel better by doing something generous. I do the same, but I like to think that I’m a good person first and foremost.

When I looked closer at him to make sure he was okay, he looked much younger than I had initially assumed; his attire threw me completely – woolly bobble hat, thick brown Chelsea quilt jacket, light grey soiled trousers that looked two sizes too big...I was sure that he was in his late forties initially.

As we made it to the other side of the street, he thanked me and I smiled modestly. “It’s really no problem,” I added. “You’d probably do the same for me, right? Anyway, I’d better...”

He put a hand on my arm softly. “Are you occupied right now at all?” A slight Scottish accent accompanied his words.

The accent took me by surprise, and he had such a kind look in his eyes that I said that no, I wasn’t ‘occupied’. So he took me to Costa and we had a coffee and some snacks, his treat. When we sat down, he took his hat off, revealing a closely cropped head of dusty blonde hair that was beginning to curl at the ends. It made me feel comfortable, I think; if he had left his hat on, it would have made me feel uneasy for some reason.

“So, what’s your name?”

He asked me several questions about myself like he was genuinely interested, throwing out a compliment here and there about my hobbies and occasionally what I was wearing. My cheeks flushed, but I blamed it entirely on the soy latte.

When we left, he was still limping so he asked if I could walk him home since it was only across the park. I agreed.

His limp was soon gone when we stepped inside and his voice had dropped a little. I knew that I had to get out, but my legs were frozen and I knew that he wouldn’t let me go, even if I asked nicely. I don’t like recalling what happened in too much detail, but afterwards, his makeshift limp had transferred itself to me for real and the bedsite wall had a few bloody scratches on it.

Every day since, I curse myself in the mirror for being too naive.

No comments:

Post a Comment