Sunday 17 November 2013

#64 - They Won't Have Me (part 2; final)



Today’s words: Origin, Yield, Zeitgeist, Yenta

Word count: 950

Completion time: N/A – this story was thought about since I wrote the first part

Summary: Two completely different people meet each other unexpectedly

For more in-depth information on asexuality, go to http://www.asexuality.org/home/. No one asexual person is exactly the same as another.

 ** Part 1 **

--

He stared at the new phone contact and wrinkled his brow. Alexis.

He wondered: was it normal to ask for the number of a girl, a stranger, who had tried to have sex with him? Had he just felt guilty that he didn’t yield to her impromptu advances?

The phone vibrated, ceasing any further thoughts.

‘hey! u free this evening?’

~

The mood inside the carriage of the underground train was the same as ever, but David was uneasy about what was going on. Yes he had agreed to meet her, at a cocktail bar; yes he had met her less than 24 hours ago; and yes, he thought he might be harbouring some feelings for her which was ridiculous because he didn’t know anything about her, her origin, what she cared about, which position she slept in, if she liked cats or not...

He knew it was irrational and stupid and pointless and a bunch of other negative words, but she intrigued him. He concluded that it was something to do with the look in her eyes just before she’d said her name. It felt like they had wordlessly exchanged secrets in a language meant just for them.

But...she had tried to have sex with him. What if she tried to take him back to her place?

He swore under his breath and stared at a Durex advert pasted by the ceiling. “If it gets to that, I’ll just be honest.”

~

The agreed meeting place was on a side street in Shoreditch, off of the main road. Lacey’s Cocktail Bar. A generously-sized place that looked a little like an American diner with more booths and sofas. After stepping onto the slight ledge and opening the door, he looked around and tried to spot her. She had shoulder-length brown hair in an asymmetrical bob, and he was sure she had a mole by her eye...but on second thoughts, it could have been make-up.

“David, right?” a voice from behind him asked unsurely.

Turning around, he saw her standing there in a cream jumper and a flower-print above-knee skirt. “Yeah, right. Alexis?”

She nodded, walking past him and motioning for him to follow. “You have got to try the Sex on the Beach they do here, it’s,” she paused, looking up to the ceiling and back at him, “delectable.”

~

“Sorry, what’s a yenta?”

“Oh,” she put her drink down and leaned forwards, “someone who gossips...kinda nosey, you know? A German friend asked me if I knew what it was once, before proceeding to bitch about someone who had two men on the go,” she laughed and bit on her black straw, “that was a few seconds before she realised who she was talking to.”

A red flag flew up. “Oh?”

“I’m not a slut,” she sipped some more of the multi-coloured cocktail, “I just like sex.”

“Fuck,” David thought, not sure if the word had made it out of his head or not. “Yeah?” he added, in case it had.

“Yeah. I mean...who doesn’t, really? I mean, really,” she raised an eyebrow.

His heart beat nervously. “I...don’t really get it...why do people like it so much?”

She studied his face. “What?”

“My mum used to call me someone who retained the zeitgeist of the 18th century, assuming I was waiting for marriage, assuming I was still a virgin.”

“Well,” she finished the rest of the drink and clasped her hands on the table, “I like it because it brings two people together closer than...probably anything else.”

False, he thought. “What about...hugging? Falling asleep together? Holding hands? Sharing yourself,” a pause, “emotionally?”

“Nothing beats an orgasm. Haha,” she laughed, trying to assess his expression, “are you a sex critic or something?”

“No...I’m asexual.”

~

After listening to his basic explanation of what being ‘asexual’ meant, she looked at him, tilting her head and furrowed her brow. “So...you just don’t have sex? Because you don’t want to?”

“It’s more like,” he searched for the right words, “I never feel the desire to, so it isn’t really a choice, it just how I feel. Not everyone has to like or want sex, right?”

She nodded slowly. “I guess, but I’d never thought of it like that before – never having sex...” she looked into the distance like she was trying to figure out a complex maths equation.

He figured he’d just go for it, say what he really wanted to say. “I don’t want to be presumptuous, and it’s probably this horrible-tasting cocktail, but I felt something with you last night, and I don’t know if it was imagined or what but...fuck, what I’m trying to say is, can you imagine spending time with me if you’re probably never going to have sex with me? Because if that’s what this is, you’re looking at the wrong guy.” He looked down into his drink and played with the straw.

“As long as we’re being honest...”

He reluctantly looked up.

 “...Yeah, I did want to,” she bit her lip, almost apologetically, “but if it’s never going to happen, I guess I’ll need to see how I feel about you. After all, we just met, and I’m not about to give up a big part of my life for someone I don’t know yet.”

“Don’t feel like you need to agree to anything with me,” he said quickly.

“Same here!” she raised her eyebrows as she said that. “I’m not about to try and change your mind. This works both ways.”

“Cool.”

“And I’m sorry about last night...I assumed...”

He put a hand out. “It’s okay,” he smiled, “it was kind of funny.”

“I guess, yeah.”

They both laughed.

“Soooo...” David began. “Do you like cats?”

2 comments: