Wednesday 13 November 2013

#62 - "Chicken Isn't Vegan?"

Quote from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World ;)



Today’s words: Chicken, Catnip, Love, Friendship

Word count: 311

Completion time: 37 minutes

Summary: Why a good taste doesn't justify death





















“You don’t even eat chicken?”

“Chicken is meat...”

“But chicken is so delicious, I love it.”

“I swear it’s either chicken or bacon that is like catnip to a kitten for some people.”

“So you don’t eat chicken?”

“No I do not.”

“Don’t you miss it?”

“Not really...but even if I did, I wouldn’t want to eat it.”

“Why not? If you miss something, just have it.”

“I miss the thrill I felt when I used to break into my sister’s house as a teenager, but that doesn’t mean I want to do it again because I know that that little thrill didn’t justify my actions. Just like taste doesn’t justify senseless murder, you get it?”

“That’s not the same, like, burglary is illegal.”

“It’s the same concept – a thrill or a good feeling at the expense of something that’s a lot more negative. Just because chicken tastes good for however long the meal takes to finish...that really doesn’t excuse the shit that they go through for us. It’s almost like bullying someone because it makes you feel powerful...yeah it feels great to have power, but not at that expense.”

“Yeah but no-one is directly involved in killing these animals, so it’s still not the same.”

“You’re right, but by paying for it and consuming something that is a product of pain, you’re still contributing, even if it’s not first-hand. If people stopped eating meat, there’d be no need for the supply...but since people keep demanding meat, the animals continue to be used and abused.”

“You can’t blame me for something that people will do anyway, regardless of if I stop or not.”

“You’re totally right, man, why give even a little to charity if lots of people are going to give anyway?”

“Exactly!”

“I was completely kidding. I value your friendship, you know, but your views are a little sketchy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment