Tuesday 27 August 2013

#31 - The Dead Don't Exist


Today’s words: Rectify, Visit, Hate, Run

Word count: 353

*New* Completion time: 1.5 hours

Summary: Sort out your friendships while you still can















 Not a day went by that I didn’t re-establish my hate for you
I had no qualms with wishing for your swift and immediate death
No, you were already dead to me
You called me up, I let it ring
You invited me out, I declined
I saw you in the street and turned the other cheek
The dead don’t exist

Best friends didn’t come any better
If you fell, I felt it
When you were happy, my heart warmed up
I didn’t mind getting hurt
Because I know you’d be there to cheer me up
But after a rumour that you started got out of hand
We never spoke again

You wanted to rectify the situation
So persistently
You bought my favourite snacks and left them by the door
Wrote letters covered with inside jokes
The more I frowned at you, the more you smiled
Why did you make it so hard to hate you?

The last time you messaged me, I still didn’t reply
You said you were serious, that something was wrong
I turned my phone on its screen and turned away
You didn’t stop
My phone didn’t stop vibrating, telling me that you needed me
So I left the room

Soon after, the house phone rang
My father answered it and called me down
“Ethan’s in hospital.”
Good
“What?”
“Something’s wrong with his heart.”
Good
“...What?”
“He’s asking for you; you should visit.”
“...Where is he?”

I held a hand to my chest and ran
I tried to run so fast that my feet could barely keep up
Images ran through my head like a movie reel
Us when we were kids,
When we got into the same secondary school,
When you drew us and promised you’d always be there

“You’re a liar!!” I screamed to the air that was rushing past my face.
I screamed it so loud, hoping that my tears would get scared and disappear
 
By the time I made it to the local hospital, there was no point in staying
Since you don’t exist
Not anymore

It would have been easier
If I hated you

No comments:

Post a Comment