Saturday 10 August 2013

#23 - Love for Hire

Today’s words: Balance, Example, Employ, Merciful

Word count: 182

~



You’ve got mail!
Subject line: <3
Content: mush
Signed, your ever-loving boyfriend

x

An example:
‘I want to set your voice as my ringtone
and wear your scent as my perfume.’
I finally get to say such words to you.

Every word, each sentence
Crafted by me...
Pumped around my body
Before spilling out of my fingertips

But
I am not your boyfriend.
(Love never claimed to be merciful)

Your trustworthy, considerate bloke,
Your ‘so sweet your dentist hates him’ dude
Won’t tell you that he loves you.
He uses me instead.

I am in the employ of your beau to write those emails;
Every sickly-sweet thing that dribbles from his mouth
Has probably been influenced by me, too.

I am the aftertaste from your grateful kisses.

My feet are trying to balance on the line
That separates truth from fiction,
But your replies are like a playful wind
Tugging at my ankles.

Breaking character has always been an option
But if I break, you’ll break
And he’ll break my neck

So I’ll keep it together
Just so we don’t fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment