Friday 16 August 2013

#26 - Business Before Pleasure

Today’s words: Cribble (coarse sieve or screen), Confer, Measure, Astonishing

Word count: 633

Summary: Some jobs are so rewarding...

I hear more and more friends these days complaining about their jobs...

“The pay is terrible.”

“My manager pretty much hates people.”

“I’ve daydreamed about killing my co-worker before; if she pushes me to the edge of my sanity, will you be there in court to back me up? I’ll even pay for your expenses since I know train fares are mad crazy recently.”

...I had to take the last person aside to confer with them and make sure that they weren’t a closet killer who would ‘come out’ by producing a severed head and making ‘jazz hands.’

My job though, I can’t complain; the pay’s decent, I get to meet a lot of friendly customers, and my hours are very negotiable since I’m self-employed.

It took a while to find it of course, like using a cribble against a lumpy carton of juice, I had to filter through the undesirable bits before I could finally drink it (some may ask why I don’t just buy juice without lumps in it, but I had to use the word ‘cribble’ somehow).

The last customer I visited was one of the friendliest people that I had met on the job – he was polite, welcoming, and he had the shiniest blue eyes and dark brown hair that I had seen in a while. As soon as he opened his front door, I froze.

“Oh hey, you’re from the agency, right?”

His voice was deep and creamy...I wanted to extract it from his throat and add it to a mug of tea.

I managed to gather enough strength to nod my head. “Yeah. Mr... Anderson, is it? Hello, my name’s Mindy. Are you free right now?”

“Yeah, of course, come in! Oh hey, don’t worry about taking your shoes off, this carpet’s nothing special.”

“Ah.” I was immediately embarrassed for trying to wrestle with my laces as I was used to doing in other peoples’ homes.

“It’s great to meet you; you want a cup of tea or something?”

I blinked rapidly. “Yeah, I mean, if you don’t mind?”

“It gives me an excuse to have some too,” he winked as if he had just revealed something in confidence.

It felt good imagining that we were sharing secrets. NO Mindy, you are here for business only. I exhaled and straightened out my skirt, preparing for the next thing he said.

“Is Tetley okay?”

“Sure, yeah.” To be honest, he could have offered me the cheapest, bitterest tea known to man and I still would have agreed on impulse.

--

“So,” I swallowed the last of the sweet tea and put my Business cap on. “I suppose, I should...”

“Please.”

He stood up and went to get it out.

It was bigger than I was anticipating. “Astonishing...”

He laughed. “That a good thing?”

He was so close to me. I could tell that I was blushing, I just hoped that he didn’t notice. “Very good, I mean, yeah, bigger than I thought.”

“Really?” Evidently I had stroked his ego. “I never thought the size was anything special.”

“You’re mistaken.” That sounded aggressive, so I softened my voice. “Yeah, it looks healthy. You’ve treated it really well, I can tell.”

“I do my best.”

I rummaged around in my bag until my fingers brushed against the plastic tape measure. “Do you mind if I measure it?”

“Oh no, of course, go ahead,” he held it steady as I wrapped the tape around it.

Our hands almost touched.

“It feels incredibly smooth; do you use any special treatment on it?”

“I don’t think so, no. Just the luck of the draw, I guess!”

“Well, you’re clearly treating it well, it looks very healthy, and this home is the perfect environment.”

“Excellent!”

“Yeah, I don’t often see adopted dogs this happy!”

No comments:

Post a Comment