Sunday 11 August 2013

#24 - Tomb Raider Lament

Today’s words: Egyptological, Add, Observation, Weeping

Word count: 498

I’ve been stuck twice on Tomb Raider today, so that's the reason for this story. Inspired by Tomoya and Sunohara's relationship from
Clannad...

~

Megan walked into the dimly-lit room to find Ethan propped up against the bed on a beanbag, game controller in hand. “Hey.”

A frustrated grunt was the only reply.

She took it upon herself to saunter into the room, stepping over the control’s black wire and perching on the edge of the bed. “Haven’t you already played this game?” she leant forward slightly.

“Yes, but I haven’t completed it; I’ve never completed a Tomb Raider game before.”

“Why not?”

“Fuck you, that’s why.”

Megan’s gaze slowly made it to Ethan’s face, eyelids lowering. “If someone asks you a question, you reply accordingly...you piece of shit.” She said quietly, glaring at him.

He looked up, eyebrows raised and bottom lip between his teeth. “Oh, you weren’t making fun?”

“No.”

“Well,” he looked back at the small TV screen that rested on a pile of books, “it’s easy to get lost after a while. Some of the levels are so big that I just end up going round and round in circles. Gets frustrating.”

“Oh yeah, I remember that time you texted me whilst weeping when you were stuck, as if I’d played the game myself.”

“I texted you for moral support! You don’t need to play the game for that! And hey, how’d you know I was weeping?”

“You put, ‘*weeps like a pathetic human being*’ at the end of the text.”

“Don’t make things up!”

She put a hand on his head. “There there.”

“I’ve never cried over a game!”

“Can I make an observation?”

“You like ignoring me, huh...?” was muttered under his breath.

“There’s probably a reason why that pressure point is there,” her hand that was on his head pointed at the screen.

He looked at where her finger was pointing.

“And since there’s nothing there to drag onto it, it would make sense for you to stand there and see what happens, right?”

He bent his knees up and put the controller between his legs before saying: “You’ve never even played this game before, how would you--”

“...”

“...”

“It worked, didn’t it?” A satisfied grin.

“...”

“...”

“...I’m kind of craving some ice cream.”

Her head collapsed onto her knees. “Hey, now who’s ignoring who...?”

“Don’t get excited just because you were right about this,” he continued to play now that the game had advanced, “it was obvious.”

Her head snapped up. “Yeah....okay, that’s why you were stuck for about an hour, if you add in the times that you paused to consider restarting the whole game again.”

He waved his hand in the air as if trying to shoo away a pesky insect. “You’re distracting. Hey, another part of the tomb is opening!” he leant up. “Egyptological!”

“...You’re playing in South America...”

“You can still read; your kindergarten teacher must feel a sense of pride right now.”

“Like I said – you’re playing in South America. Egypt is in Africa.”

“...”

“...”

“Go get me some ice cream.”

“Who’s the guest here?!”

2 comments:

  1. If I had a penny for every time this had happened while playing a Zelda game . . . great story, far too relatable. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's relatable, since I don't game very often at all! It's just how I felt yesterday, haha.

      Delete