Monday 19 August 2013

#28 - So Serious


Today’s words: Unveil, Document, Opifice (craftsman, artisan or maker of things), Libyan

Word count: 568

Summary: Baker, a self-confessed professional of sorts, comes up with a flawless idea to save everyone from being unfriendly ever again

“Euston, we have a problem...” Baker said with distress as she walked across the room, trench coat flapping behind her knees.

“Yes?” Euston responded, putting the tip of his shoe on the end of the desk and tilting his chair back slightly, more amused by the water stains on the ceiling than Baker’s ‘problem’.

Slapping several papers onto the desk, she looked at her partner, flicking her eyes at the paper then back at Euston. “I am an opifice by profession, but there’s more to me than being a master of crafts; I’m a thinker too, you know? I use my hands and my head.”

“I know.” A nod to verify her words.

“There’s a little too much...hostility in the world, don’t you think?” A deliberate pause as she waited for Euston to agree.

“...Yes?”

“Yes,” satisfied, she continued. “Well, detailed in this document are plans to end this negative behaviour once and for all.” She perched on the edge of the desk, crossing one ankle over the other. “I thought to myself: what do people, as a whole, like...?”

Euston raised his eyebrows expectantly as he folded his arms.

“You might want to put all four legs of your chair on the floor for this.”

After opening his mouth to protest a little, he complied.

“I now unveil to you...” she pointed at the papers behind her, “Project Make-People-Be-Friends-Because-No-One-Likes-A-Bellend.” Nodding slowly, she widened her eyes at Euston, forcing him to nod, too.

“You’re a poet, too?” Euston sniggered as he looked away.

“Evidently I am, yes.” No hint of humour. “Anyway, here’s my hypothesis: people are generally a lot friendlier to people who have said something nice to them. Case in point: earlier on I was on the tube which, as you know, is one of the most hostile, claustrophobic, unfriendly places in London. I was just standing up,” she mimed holding onto a rail, “looking sadly at a newspaper that someone was holding, skim reading about the Libyan Interior Minister’s resignation, when someone complimented my hairpin.” Another pause.

Assuming that she desired a response of some kind, Euston offered: “And...?”

“I’m glad you asked,” uncrossing her legs, she stood up, spun around once and smiled. “I was happy...the compliment made me happy!”

“That’s generally what compliments are designed for.”

“I’d had a really rotten day,” she emphasised ‘really’ by putting both of her hands up like she was hushing some children, “and those few words of reassurance completely reversed my mood. So, all we need to do to prevent another Word War is to have designated ‘Complimenters’ to compliment all involved and bam...world peace.” Holding both palms out like she had completed a dance routine, she looked eagerly at Euston.

A heavy pause from Euston this time. “You’re serious?”

“When am I ever not serious ?” she questioned, taking out some red lipstick from her pocket and applying it to her lips before extending it to both cheeks, creating a make-shift Chelsea-smile.

“Something as serious as war can’t be solved by...compliments!” Voice raised, he too stood. “It’s like you’re making a mockery of world issues! They’re a serious thing, people die every day; you think they’re going to put their guns down just because someone comes out of nowhere and says, ‘What nice grenades you have’? You know sometimes, I really think you--”

“Nice belt buckle, Euston.”

“...Really? Aw thanks, it’s the Batman  logo.”

Baker smirked.

No comments:

Post a Comment