Friday 28 February 2014

#92 - Straighten it Out

Today's words: Edge, Iron, Direful, Trite

Word count: 170

Completion time: 20 minutes

Summary: Straightened hair sometimes has a deeper meaning

--

The direful, untamed puffs of hair taunted me as I looked in the mirror

It was a trite affair – everyone did it but

I didn’t discover another motive ‘til my brother asked:

“Why are you trying to make yourself look white?”

I didn’t realise that by modifying my hair

I was doing the next best thing

To modifying my skin



I didn’t like my puffs because they were Afro, native, different

I sectioned my identity, tried to cut myself off

The iron was oppression and I held it tight

Trying to erase myself with a white rubber



Even black Barbie had straight flowing locks

I’d brush them til the strands gathered static

Til there were no more kinks

If I did the same to mine, my hair would rebel

The more I brushed, the bigger the afro

The more I edge from my race

The more it stares me in the face



Running fast or staying still

Makes no difference

It will always be here

Standing out against the light

No comments:

Post a Comment