Saturday 1 February 2014

#81 - "I'm Depressed"



Today’s words: Farm, Crisps, Garden, Noun

Word count: 373

Completion time: 1 hour 1 minute

Summary: a lot of people trivialize mental illness, especially ‘popular’ ones like depression and social anxiety, so this goes out to people who are sick of people claiming to be sick when they’re clearly just having normal reactions to everyday situations

--

“I have depression,” you say, finishing your crisps as you look me in the eye
It’s no surprise, right? You’ve not smiled once since sunrise.
“Why do you think that?”
“I’m really sad.”
Okay, that’s a fact...
I won’t deny that you’re sad, that much is true
But that’s because Drew broke up with you...

Your last date was at a farm, a small place outside of town
And when the day was done, the relationship was too
You cried
Of course you did
You cried like you’d forgotten how to laugh and
Fell onto the path, asking him ‘why’
He said your name like a common noun and stated
“We’re just too different, we never should have dated.”
And just like that, you guys were separated

“I might go to the doctor; I think I’m a hazard to myself.”
It’s nice that you’re looking out for your health
But being sad after a traumatic experience
Is nothing that serious
“Give it a few days, I’m sure you’ll be fine.”
“No, I’m pretty sure I have it: I’ve read about it.”
You know when people sneeze and think they have the flu?
That’s what this is. It’s a normal reaction, I’m telling you!
I’d be concerned if you weren’t feeling blue!
“Look, I know you’re a mess, and I get that, I do
“But claiming it’s a mental illness? That’s really not cool.”
“I didn’t eat for half a day yesterday, what does that tell you?”
“That you lost your appetite (you fool)!”
Throw me the tastiest line, I still won’t bite

It’s been two nights since he dumped you
Don’t trivialize a mental issue whenever it suits you
Like the latest fashion trend that you’ll spend
Hundreds on just to look cool in front of friends
I have this and I have that
You say it like you want to be depressed
Like you want to spend days in bed, missing work
Realising that life has lots its perks
Like you want to feel a relentless darkness
That lasts for days and days
Like a permanent eclipse

Why would you want that?
Who would ever wish for that?
Why can’t you see that your ‘depression’
Is a just normal kind of ‘sad’?

No comments:

Post a Comment