Monday 21 October 2013

#51 - It Doesn't Matter


Today’s words: Orange, Backpack, Hand sanitiser, pain

Word count: 342

Completion time: 1 hour

Summary: You can know the ins and out of someone, but that doesn’t mean they’ll love you back

--

Your backpack is dark grey, almost black
The original stitching has been re-done in pink
You walk unsteady because you’re conscious of people staring
You chew gum ‘cause you don’t like to talk much
Last term you shouted out the wrong answer in French and didn’t talk for two days
Your smile is crooked, but you refused braces twice
The mole by your cheekbone looks like a misshapen heart
You still stick your tongue out when someone’s mean to you
You like to pretend that your new haircut was supposed to be that short
You’re the height I want to be, but you wish you were shorter
When you smile, your eyes are usually closed
You have two dimples on your left cheek when you do
I know all this because I’ve known you for five years
You still can’t get my name right

In the corridor by E2, I heard you call someone’s shoes ‘gay’
This made me frown, but I pretended you said ‘okay’
It didn’t work
Would someone who’s...make a joke that’s...?
Everyone has a curious stage
And some people realise that it isn’t curiosity
It’s real

We started talking when we were put in the same music group
Tuesday, 9am, Mr Stanley, Music Room 2
I hated waking up early until then
I thought the bass was boring ‘til you played it
I never listened to dance before you played me The Prodigy
I’d never been that shaky until you offered me your left earphone
We were acquaintances ‘til we became friends

But when I said I hated pain, you said you hated orange
When I told you I felt sad, you told me that you were sad once
When I said I was cold, you said to wear more layers
When I told you I felt dirty, you bought me hand sanitiser for Christmas
When I said imagine if...you said it was pointless to do so
When I said I loved you, you took your earphones out and said, “What?”
I smiled and said it doesn’t matter

No comments:

Post a Comment