Monday 23 September 2013

#43 - Question



Today’s words: Sold, Self, Report, Dusty

Word count: 441

Completion time: 38 minutes

Summary: What’s truth? What counts as good or bad? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

I had trouble tagging this because it isn't really fiction, a story, or a poem, I just went a little far and started talking about life from my perspective...but it's a great read anyway! In keeping with the blog's title, pretend that the person speaking is fictional.... 

~

Who am I?

Is my ‘self’ made up of what people think of me, or is it what I think of myself?

I guess for me, my ‘self’ is what I think of me, and what other people think of me is how they experience and see my ‘self’.

If everyone I knew was asked to write a report on me and they all thought that I was an asshole, would that make me an asshole, even if I thought that I was a nice person?

That’s how trials work, right? If someone’s found guilty by the jury, they’re sentenced.

Majority rules.

Would I have to prove that I’m not as asshole? What if I couldn’t? Without proof, does the fact only exist as an illusion of truth?

People would have to be sold the idea, a reason to believe in me.

“Because I believe in myself” doesn’t cut it, right?

What reason would anyone have to trust me?

What reason would anyone have not to trust me?

What if I had a visual condition that made me see surfaces as dusty even though other people saw them as clean?

We would both see the exact same surface but in a completely different way.

Who would be right?

Unrealistic situation, maybe...

What about physical attractiveness? I could look at a picture of someone and think they’re drop-dead gorgeous, but someone else could see the same person as ugly.

Who would be right?

Me? Them? Neither?

I’ll settle on neither because those experiences are subjective, just like the idea of me being an asshole.

Moving back to the idea of the law, if I was found guilty because I really did break the law, would that make me a bad person?

Yes, right? Unquestionably yes?

Why?

Who said that breaking the law was bad?
Would I be wrong for breaking the law just because the law says it’s wrong?

People made those rules, people who have the ability to decide what’s wrong and what isn’t, so why were they right?

How did they decide? Because those laws, if broken, would hurt others?

Why is hurting others wrong?

It is, I believe, but why?

Subjective, again? Or objective?

If someone genuinely thought that hurting others wasn’t a big deal, would their view be taken into consideration or would they be wrong for saying that hurting others wasn’t wrong?

What about animals?

People who don’t think that eating animals is wrong, and those that do...who’s right? 

We need proof again, right?

There’s no need to kill animals, so why is this view seen as mostly an okay thing to do?

Why?

Why?

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment