Tuesday 17 September 2013

#40 - For Them



Today’s words: Assign, Blurt, Pricey, Zoom in

Word count: 176

Completion time: 24 minutes

Summary: For people who deal with this shit regularly, this is for them. Respect gender identity.

Sidenote (I am aware that not all people who don't conform to one gender are comfortable with 'them'; this is from my experience only)

~

Focus
Zoom in
“Is that a ‘him’?”
You blurt
“Don’t be absurd
That’s a ‘her’.”

A him?
A her?
Ahem
A word?

You look at my friend and see a gender
Something to classify
Scrutinise
I look at my friend and see a human being
Someone worth seeing
Gender or genitalia aside

You assign pronouns of your own
And stare at them like they’re a clown
Something to amuse
Entertain
Please refrain
(It hurts my brain...)

When they say that they prefer neutral pronouns
You look at them like they’ve got flu
and coughed it all over you
“You’re either a boy or a girl, simple.”
It was never that ‘simple’, you tight twat
Never that black and white

Is it too pricey to use ‘them’?
Is that why you refuse?
Tell me
What have you got to lose?

If someone says they’re transgender
Or gender neutral
Or genderqueer
I don’t need to hear
what you do or don’t believe

It’s not about you
It’s about them

This is for them

Now,
Shall we try again?

No comments:

Post a Comment